Wednesday, 15 April 2015

A Little Chaos


Hope and I had free tickets for a preview screening of
on Sunday morning.

The film stars
Alan Rickman (who also directed)
Kate Winslet
Jennifer Ehle
Stanley Tucci
Mattias Schoenoerts
Helen McCrory
plus many other well known 'faces'.


The story is about the (entirely fictional) 
Sabine de Barra (Winslet),
who is a strong willed landscape gardener
 who assists the head
garden designer Andre le Notre (Shoenoerts) 
in the creation of part of the ornamental 
gardens at Versailles.

Rickman plays King Louis XIV.

So, what did we think of the film?

We really enjoyed it.

We LOVED the costumes, oh my goodness 
they were sumptuous and beautiful.
French court life was betrayed in all it's 'glory' -
the hangers on, the fawning, the jealousies, 
ambitions and various indiscretions.
Alan Rickman was, quite frankly, Alan Rickman,
which is ok with me because I think he's great!
However, I'm not a particular fan of Kate Winslet and
she was being Kate Winslet, really.
Apparently she announced her pregnancy 
two weeks into filming.


Stanley Tucci was fabulous, great fun.


Ok, if I wanted to I could pick holes
in this film - but I really don't want to.  
It made me smile,
it was a visual treat and it had some great acting
(with only one minor actor putting on a fake French accent
which made him sound a little bit like a 
character from 'Allo 'Allo!).

And there was some romance :)

I award this film 4 out of 5,
Hope gives it 3.5 out of 5.

XXX


3 comments:

Carmen said...

I love Alan Rickman! I think I'm of the same mind as you, love him, not a fan of her.

We watched The Grand Budapest Hotel the other night, hadn't really seen any hyupe about it so didn't know what to expect. LOVED that one :)

Monica said...

I will try to see it when it reaches netflix.

Linda Kunsman said...

I definitely want to see this movie. Thanks for sharing!