Saturday, 16 May 2015

Documented Life Project - Week 19


May Theme: Touchy Feely (texture)
Week 19 Art Challenge - Stitching
Week 19 Journal Prompt: "All That I'm After is Life Full of Laughter"

(We laughed so much when you made this skirt - it looked like a toilet seat!)
I took my inspiration from a small machine stitching 
practice scrap that Hope did at school some years ago 
during a dreaded needlework lesson.
It had got shoved into the fabric box and I found it
when I was searching for inspiration.
I'm so glad I was able to use it in such a
meaningful way.

The background for these pages are book pages,
washi tape, sewing pattern and gesso.
I roughly tacked Hope's swatch to the page and
then carried on the pattern for the rest of the design.
I was giggling while creating these pages - Hope had
 to make a skirt at school, with a strange frill on the front.
She really didn't like it and when she brought it home
and showed me we laughed and laughed, especially when
I said it looked like a toilet seat :D
The skirt, sadly never worn, has gone into 
family legend as 'the loo seat skirt'.

Happy memories.

XXX

8 comments:

Jewels said...

LOL - another Urbani family "story" - hilarious - nice page too!

Linda Kunsman said...

just brilliant how you incorporated the sewn swatch into your journal spread Jo! Now see, I saw an apron (or whatever you may call it in England)until you mentioned the toilet seat:):)

Kristin said...

Oh my gosh! You had me at LOVE you Mummy! What a great way to incorporate something so special! xoxo

missy k said...

Great pages Jo.....

Shame the skirt wasn't a success but the practice piece came up trumps :)

Karen x

Terri Corona said...

How funny and wonderfully meaningful!

BadPenny said...

Wonderful Jo. Love Hope's sewing & the story & the design - love it all xx

I've just read a Blog post which made me sad so this cheered me up no end !

Jill said...

I've loved catching up with your Blog especially your journal pages.

Carmen said...

Oh what a gorgeous piece of fabric and I love how you incorporated it into the page :) The story is brilliant though :P The things they have them making!