Sunday, 12 July 2015

Documented Life Project - Week 27


July theme - Ephemera
Week 27 Art Challenge: Using old maps, letters, tickets and more...
Week 27 Journal Prompt: Life...with a history


Using lots of ephemera which meant something 
to me from the 1960s/70s as a background, I then covered most of it up (deliberately).
I painted myself (from an old primary school photograph), including my freckles, and journalled personal 
thoughts about my childhood, which I have 
kept private by scribble writing.

The ink blots symbolise the many failures and mistakes
I have made in the past, but which I do not regret because they have made me the person I am happy being today.

I found these pages quite difficult to do,
both artistically and emotionally.

But that is what Art Journaling is all about, I suppose.

XXX






9 comments:

Monica said...

Spectacular and it is what journaling is all about. you are probably a minority in the world of journaling as some people cling to the past and all the regrets. You surely are a stronger person for facing it and now acknowledging it. This is the process by which we move forwards. thanks for sharing, it make me feel very privileged.

Sabrina said...

I bet this was difficult but the outcome is stunning and you can read that something is different here, and very personal. I'm very struck with the gaze that your young self is holding with the viewer. Almost challenging, " I know things! ". Really awesome work!

Jewels said...

Love this Jo - yes sometimes it is hard to visit the past and bring back both the good and the bad memories. But like you say, it made you what you are today! Wonderful job with your rendition of yourself (freckles included ) :)

BadPenny said...

Beautiful face Jo x

Giggles said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leading me back here!! I LOVE your blog and this adorable journal page!! Wow awesome and yes failure leads us to who we are!! I hope you watched the cool video on my blog.. about all the famous failures.... Thank goodness they didn't listen to all the naysayers!! Fabulous work!!

Going to visit more posts!!

Hugs Giggles

missy k said...

Great work Jo...

I agree, no point at all in regretting the past.... learn from your mistakes and move on :)

Karen x

Terri Corona said...

Yes, I think the more emotion, whether happy or difficult, we put into something the more we get out. And I do love your page,that painting of your childhood self is absolutely precious!

Linda Kunsman said...

this is such a poignant page Jo. I love how you used so much meaning from your personal life ,yet kept some of it for your private thoughts. Amazing what art and mind can accomplish without revealing too much!

Carmen said...

This one made me stop and pause. You are so amazing Jo. Both as an artist and a person. I always come away from your blog pondering something.